Monday, May 5, 2008

Racquetball Shoe Selection and Ankle Support

racquetball shoes It is no surprise to me that many people who play racquetball suffer some form of ankle injury at least once in their life time.

I've never suffered anything too catastrophic when playing racquetball but I have definitely rolled my ankle a few times which could quite easily result in problems provided the right force is applied to my ankle at the time of rolling it.

So with this in mind I decided to do a little research to figure out what is the best solution for ankle support.  Is the answer high tops (mid highs)? A low top shoe?  Maybe the right answer is a one of these shoes combined with an ankle brace?

After doing lots of searching on the web, I finally came to a conclusion thanks to www.health.uottawa.ca in the following document:

http://www.health.uottawa.ca/biomech/lab/docs/isb18_ac.pdf

According to what this document says, the best solution for ultimate ankle support is a low top shoe with an active ankle brace. This combination will provide the best resistance to inversion that could cause an ankle sprain.

So now you have a better idea what kind of shoe and ankle brace to search for when shopping for your racquetball equipment.

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What is an "active ankle brace"?
How do I recognize it when I see it?